LCP Roofing attends Roof Tile Workshop
The sales team from LCP Roofing recently attended a Roof Tile Workshop at the SAFCEC building in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, which was hosted by Henry Cockroft from the Concrete Manufacturers Association (CMA).
Danie Hattingh from Coverland presented on the different aspects of tiled roofs and with roughly 40 delegates attending from various sectors in the industry, including architects, tile manufacturers, roof manufacturers and roof erectors, the following topics were covered:
- Thermal values and qualities of roofs;
- SANS 10400 section L, which covers roofs;
- R-values (or the the measure of resistance in heat transfer in roofing elements);
- Roof coverings and waterproofing;
- Fixing, testing and the benefits of concrete roof tiles;
- Steel and timber roof structures;
- The different tile profiles in the Coverland range;
- Roof pitch;
- Climate control in roofs.
A practical session on dry ridging was presented by Grant Uys from Aveng Infraset, which addressed the installation of ridges without the use of mortar, but rather with metal ridge trees, tile clips and a breathable roll underlay, which make ridge and hip installation fairly easy and clean. While the system does offer a neat and cleaner way of installing ridges and hips, upon calculating the cost, it will prove more expensive than installing ridges and hips in the conventional way.
After this practical session, Craig Allen from Ecomatch presented on the subject of recycling concrete and tile waste on building sites.
The Roof Tile Workshop was an interesting and insightful event that comes highly recommended to anyone in the South African roofing industry.